There are many changes that occur to the body during pregnancy, childbirth and in the post natal period. These changes along with the changes that occur during childbirth, can cause stress on the body which may lead to back, hip and pelvic pain and potentially pelvic floor weakness.
Esthesis Physiotherapy acknowledge the physical and emotional toll that pregnancy and childbirth can have on Women and aim to assist women in maintaining a health and active lifestyle and provide appropriate treatment and management if pain or dysfunction arises.
Common symptoms that are treated at Esthesis Physiotherapy throughout pregnancy include:
• Back and neck pain
• Hip pain
• Pelvic pain and instability
• Pubic pain
• Rib pain
• Coccyx pain
• Carpal tunnel and wrist pain
• Abdominal muscle separation
• Pelvic floor muscle weakness
• Leaking from the bladder or bowel
At Esthesis Physiotherapy we are able to treat these body changes with a range of techniques:
- Hands on manual therapy
- Pelvic floor strengthening
- Core exercises
- Provision of appropriate braces/supports
- Postural advice/strengthening exercises
- Guidance with returning to exercise and sport after childbirth
We have a specialised pregnancy pillow which allows you to lay on your stomach during treatment throughout your entire pregnancy.
For further information on how Physiotherapy may assist you through your pregnancy, please contact Esthesis Physiotherapy.